Custom Field Populator: How to Create a New Custom Field Group
Custom Field Groups are used to conveniently add a set group of custom fields to products. You can create a Custom Field Group to be applied to all products, or select ones.
To create a new Custom Field Group, from the dashboard select Custom Field Group
The next screen will display all the Custom Field Groups you currently have set up:
Click on Create to create a new Custom Field Group:
Step 1: Enter a name for your Custom Field Group
Step 2: From the drop-down, choose the fields you want to include in this group.
Step 3: Choose whether this Custom Field Group will be applied to all products, or select products.
- All Products will automatically place this Custom Field Group on all new items that are created if you toggle this option to Yes. If toggled to No you can manually assign the Custom Field Group to new items one by one.
Selected Products allows you to set up rules to define which products the Custom Field Group will apply to.
For example, if you have a category called "Fresh Fruit" and a custom field called "perishable" that when set to "true" displays a note on the item page about the item having a limited shelf life, you can create a Custom Field Group with Category set to equal Fresh Fruit.
If you want to automatically place this Custom Field Group on all new items that are created, toggle this option to Yes. If toggled to No you can manually assign the Custom Field Group to new items one by one.
You can set up rules based on:
- Product Name
- Inventory Level
- In Stock or Out of Stock
- Is VIsible or Not Visible
- Is a Featured Item
Step 4: Choose whether or not to use the default value for the custom field, or enter a custom value.
- Set Custom Default Values is checked - the default value set for the custom field will be used.
- Set Custom Default Values is unchecked - allows you to set specific values for each custom field selected for the Custom Field Group. If you want the value to be blank, simply enter a space.
Step 5: Choose whether or not to add the custom fields to all the products earmarked for this Custom Field Group.
- If you selected All Products in Step 3, once saved the custom fields will be added to all existing products in your store if toggled to Yes.
- If you set up rules for adding these fields to Selected Products in Step 3, once saved the custom fields will be added to all existing products matching those rules in your store if toggled to Yes.
- If you toggle this to No the custom fields will not be added automatically when you finish setting up this Custom Field Group.
Step 6: Click Save Custom Field to complete the setup.